Customer Monitoring

Library Cards

Card Types


People living in Coralville, University Heights, or Rural Johnson County receive a Resident Card.


Residents of Iowa City, North Liberty, and any city in Iowa that participates in the state of Iowa’s open access program receive a Non-Resident library card.


Individuals who are not able to provide proof of address due to homelessness, being in transitional housing, or other circumstances may be able to acquire a Temporary library card.

AIM Student

Students attending an Iowa City Community School District school can use their school-issued ID to check out materials if their guardians have opted them into the program.

Access by Card Type

Resident Non-resident Temporary AIM
Check out physical materials yes
limit 100
limit 100
limit 10
limit 3
Check out hotspots and laptops yes no no no
Access elibrary databases outside the library yes no yes no
Access ematerials on Libby, Kanopy, and Hoopla yes no yes no
$1 a day free printing yes
Use interlibrary loan yes no no no
Reserve an Adventure Pass yes
ages 18+
no no no

No Library Card Needed To

  • use the desktop computers in the Library.
  • print wirelessly or from a Library desktop. Fees apply.
  • access the wi-fi in or around the Library building.
  • access elibrary databases in the Library.
  • read or watch movies in the Library.
  • reserve a Meeting Room for non-profit organization.
  • use a Study Room.
  • attend Library events.

Frequently Asked Questions

Come to the Circulation desk with a photo ID and proof of address to get a library card.  To save time fill out our online registration form before coming in.

If you are between homes you can get a temporary card with a photo ID.

Your pin is the password associated with your library card.  You can request a password reset on the catalog log-in page or by bringing a photo ID to the Circulation desk.

If you move please bring a piece of mail with your name and new address to the Circulation desk.  We will update your card type in the system.

If you misplaced or forgot your library card you can check out library materials with a photo ID.  If your card is lost, you can get a new card at the Circulation Desk for $1. 

When a new card is issued the old card becomes inactive.  You may call or visit the Circulation desk to deactivate a lost or old card to ensure no one else uses it.

There is no minimum age required to obtain a Coralville Public Library card, but parent or guardian permission is required for children under age 14. The parent or guardian of children who have library cards is responsible for the return of materials borrowed by the children, as well as for any subsequent charges of overdue, lost or damaged materials.

Digital Johnson County is a partnership between the Coralville Public Library, the Iowa City Public Library, and the North Liberty Community Library.  By joining forces, each library can offer more digital titles for less money. 

You must have a resident library card and password from your home library to use these collections. Your “home library” is the library that matches your home address.