The Coralville Public Library provides meeting rooms as space where the public can attend informational, educational, cultural events. In the spirit of the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights and upholding intellectual freedom, meeting rooms provide a forum for the free exchange of ideas.
Library programs or library-sponsored events take priority over non-library bookings. When not in use for library-related activities, the rooms are available to other groups under these guidelines:
- Meeting room facilities are available at no charge to local nonprofit organizations and groups whose headquarters are in or who provide services to the residents of Johnson County. Rooms are not available for personal use.
- Facilities are open to organizations engaged in educational, cultural, intellectual, or charitable activities. Free cultural or civic events that appeal to a variety of ages are encouraged to use Library meeting rooms and may request exceptions.
- Selling or fundraising is prohibited except for events that benefit the Library. Groups may not profit financially from any fees charged for events. Charges to recoup for food or material costs may be acceptable if authorized in advance by library administration.
- Rooms must be reserved in advance.
- So that rooms are available to diverse groups in the community, they are not meant to be used as a regular meeting place. Reservations are granted only for a single meeting or a brief series of meetings extending for no longer than two weeks.
- Rooms are available during regular library hours of operation. Rooms may be available before opening.
- Refreshments may be brought in and served in meeting rooms. Users must provide their own supplies. No alcoholic beverages are allowed on the premises without prior approval from the Library Board.
- Smoking is prohibited in the Library, on Library grounds, and in the parking facility.
- Groups are expected to set up tables and chairs in the space for their own use and leave the space as they found it. Groups may be charged for damages or if extraordinary clean-up or staff time is necessary after use.
- Groups who do not show up for a meeting may be charged for Library staff time required.
- In accordance with the City’s Fire Code, there can be no open flames in city buildings without a permit issued by the Fire Department.
- Equipment granted for use will be set up by library staff. Equipment must be requested at least one week in advance, and there may be times when equipment is not available for use.
- Use of Meeting Rooms does not constitute endorsement or approval by the Library or Board of Trustees of content, topics, subject matter, or point of view of groups using the Meeting Rooms.
- The Library Board of Trustees, employees of the Library or the City of Coralville are not responsible for accidents, injury, or loss of individual property during meeting room use.
- Specific rules governing the use of meeting rooms will be established and supervised by the Library Director and/or designated staff.
- The Coralville Library Board of Trustees maintains an agreement with the Coralville Center for Performing Arts which governs use of Meeting Rooms as space for events booked through the CCPA.
Adopted: May 1990
Revised: November 1991
Revised: May 1996
Reviewed: January 2000
Revised: August 2000
Revised: November 2008
Revised: March 2011
Revised: April 2012
Revised: January 2016