In order to ensure the safety of children and a comfortable atmosphere for all our patrons: 1) Parents may not leave children under 7 unattended in the Library. 2) Disruptive children age 7 and older will be directed to leave after one warning.
Children Left Unattended
If a child is lost or left unattended, a staff member will try to identify and locate the parent or responsible adult.
- A staff member will walk around the Library with the child looking for the parent.
- When the parent is found the staff member will explain the policy.
- If the parent is not found, a staff member will stay with the child until the parent can be located through patron cards, the phone book, etc.
- If the parents have not been located within one half hour, or if the Library is closing, a staff member will turn the child over to the police.
Children Under Age 7
- A staff member will ask the young person to stop the disruptive behavior.
- If the disruptive behavior continues a staff member will inform the parent or responsible adult.
- In the event that the parents are unable or refuse to control the child, the parent or responsible adult will be directed to remove the child from the premises.
- If the parent/responsible adult refuses to remove the child from the premises, then the parent/responsible adult will be asked to leave the library.
- If the parent/responsible adult refuses to leave the library, the police will be called.
Children Age 7 and Over
- A staff member will ask the young person to stop the disruptive behavior, and warn him/her that the next time he/she may be directed to leave.
- If the young person does not comply with instructions from the staff, the staff may call the parent or the police for assistance.
Adopted: March 1992
Revised: April 1993
Reviewed: April 1996
Reviewed: January 2000
Revised: August 2004
Revised: February 2009
Reviewed: May 2009