I. Library Board
A. According to the requirements of Chapter 22, Code of Ordinances, City of Coralville, the Library Board of the Coralville Public Library shall consist of seven members to be appointed from time to time by the Mayor, with approval of the City Council.
B. The general powers and duties of the Coralville Library Board are outlined in Chapter 392.5 of the Code of Iowa.
C. The Board shall exercise its powers and duties by:1. Employing a competent and qualified Library Director,
2. Cooperating with the Library Director in determining and adopting written policies to govern the operation and program of the Library, including personnel policies and operational policies,
3. Reporting to and cooperating with other public officials, boards and the community as a whole to support a public relations program for the Library,
4. Assisting in the preparation of and seeking adequate support for the annual budget, and
5. Developing long range goals for the library and working toward their achievement.
A. The officers of the Board shall consist of a President, Vice President and a Secretary. Officers shall be elected at the first meeting of the calendar year and hold office until their successors are elected and installed. Their terms shall be for one year. Officers may succeed themselves in office, provided that none serves more than three consecutive terms in the same office.
B. The duties of all officers shall be such as by custom and law and the rules of this Board usually devolve upon such officers in accordance with their titles.
A. Regular meetings shall be held monthly, date and hour to be determined by the Board, in the Library or such other place as the Board may determine.
B. Special meetings may be held at any time at the call of any member of the Board, provided that notice thereof be given to all Trustees at least 24 hours in advance of the special meeting and is duly posted.
C. A quorum at any meeting shall consist of four or more members.
D. An agenda for Board meetings shall be prepared by the Library Director in cooperation with the President of the Board.
E. All meetings of the Board are open to the public. Non-Board members who wish to address the Board should request a place on the agenda not later than 24 hours before the time established for the meeting. The request may be directed to the President, the Secretary, or the Library Director.
A. The Board may appoint such special committees as may be needed from time to time.
V. The Library Director
A. The Library Director shall execute the policies adopted by the Board. Among his/her duties and responsibilities shall include:1. Oversight of the facility, operations, and staff.
2. Informing the Board continually and completely regarding the finances, public services, physical plant, personnel, collection, and other developments, changes and problems of the Library.
3. Attend meetings of the Board except those at which his/her tenure or salary is to be discussed or decided.
VI. Amendments to By-Laws
A. Amendments to these By-Laws may be adopted at any regular meeting of the Library Board, provided that notice of proposed amendments be given to all members in advance of the meeting.
James M. Smith, President
Board of Trustees, Coralville Public Library
Revised: May 6, 1992
Revised: February 7, 1996
Reviewed: February 2006
Reviewed: May 2009
Reviewed: April 2013
Revised: December 2016